Sunday, January 25, 2009

When do we start to panic?

I was talking with a few co workers about the economy. Another spouse laid off and another wife going to work full time, to make ends meet. Will he find a job? What will it pay? What about retirement? One of the PA's I work with told me he received his 403 B statement for 2008 and he had lost 1/3 of his investments. WOW, 1/3! I put money away in my 403B but will it be enough? I have refused to look at my statement. I figure if I don't know it won't hurt me. Will there be social security? Will I ever see any of the money I have put into Social Security? I'm guessing NOT!

I think that I have a good head on my shoulders. I tend to live for the now but my now isn't wild and crazy. I spend my money on my house, kids catholic education, and that new car we bought this year! I don't carry a balance on my credit cards, I live modestly and hope that I will not be on the streets when I am 70 years old. I think that I will always HAVE to work because I will never be able to afford health insurance. and b/c I never look at my 403B so I really don't know how much money I actually have in my retirement fund!

I wish our government would learn to live modestly. Do we really need to send money over sea's to help out other countries? I know I'm selfish but I think we need to balance our checkbooks before we send millions to others. Is a dollar really worth a dollar? How come people say to invest in Gold? I don't value gold!! I want to invest in a cow and chickens, now that is something I can use. Back to being practical.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh I know, it is just too scary.

Jenn said...

I don't even watch the news anymore...it just makes me cry. Did you ever think things would get this bad...over 10% unemployment. I know I never did. Do you think Obama is wishing he could give the presidency back? Maybe he should go into nursing!

Janiece said...

I think the cow and chicken thing is a very good idea.
We really need to know we can suport ourselves and times get harder.
I believe the money spent on your children's education is very well invested.
and as far as money in the market...I will not even begin to tell you how many 1000's we have lost.
Trust in the Lord, plant a garden and it might not hurt to get the cow while you are at it.
I planted fruit trees last year. I may not have anything for a few years from them, but I will someday.