My husband and I decided to let our 11 year old get contact lenses. I was in 6th grade when I got my first pair of contacts. She is old enough? She will take care of them? She will always wash her hands before touching them? I did, right?
As I try not to watch or direct her and let her figure it out I try to think back was I more independent when I was 11 years old? I know I had a babysitting job for two kids that summer. If I tried to let her do that the police or CPS would be knocking on the door and taking my kids away. Has society made our kids more dependant on us? We were talking about leaving kids at work last week and the law says that the kids have to be 14 years or older to be left in the car alone while I run in for an errand. Seriously! They can babysit when they are 12 but can't be left in the car. How do we know all of the rules. I wish that everyone had common sense so that we didn't need the government to monitor my parenting decisions.
As I continue to try and make my kids more independent and accountable I give them jobs. I know it's crazy but I am NEVER going to clean their rooms again (OK, I say that know) but I am to the point that I don't care if they don't have clothes to wear or shoes on their feet because they keep hiding them under their beds!
This summer I have decided as long as they are together they can ride their bikes around the block! My husband is freaked out! Is that ok in this neighborhood... what if someone takes them, what if they fall and get hurt. Well we have to start somewhere and I choose bikes around the block. When school starts in September I am even thinking of letting them walk the 4 blocks to school by themselves! Good thing my husband shaves his head because he would be pulling his hair out!
meilleur abonnement IPTV
4 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment