Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Doctor Doctor give me the news

I couldn't resist the title. I had the annual (so what it's been 2 years) visit to the doctor's office w/ K and C. It was the first appointment of the day, I highly suggest this for everyone. I had to wake the girls up at 8 am to make it to the office by 8:40. I told them if they skip breakfast we could go out together after the appointment. We arrived by 8:30 but the Dr. didn't arrive until about 9:30. This if so frustrating. I wish I could charge the Dr. for an hour of my time. If I didn't like her so much and the kids have been going their since they were born and it is close to my house....I guess it is something that I just have to put up with. The good news is we haven't been to the doctors for 2 years!

My dilemma today was whether to or not to give C her 2nd vaccination for chicken pox. I keep thinking that it didn't kill me. I don't know anyone who has died from chicken pox, so what is the big deal. Yes, I am a nurse but I just think sometimes we as a society blow everything out of proportion. You know what I mean, have you checked out the news lately. It is never just raining out it is a "severe thunderstorm" or it is never just snowing it is a "winter weather warning". Seriously I don't have problems with prevention and safety but did I really need to vaccinate my kids from chicken pox? Now the doctor wants to talk to me about vaccinating my 11 year old for STD's. I KNOW she is not sexually active and won't be for many years because I can control that! Sure once she starts dating then I might not be able to control what she does but for the next few years she IS NOT going to be dating!

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Hey, I found your blog through Lelly! So fun to be involved in spt-ing. I am also a nurse...I have worked in the NICU for 12 years. I read this little post and couldn't resist commenting about this vaccine...I usually do not do this, but it is something that hits home with me. I have ALWAYS had normal paps and last summer my pap came back "really abnormal" to quote my Dr. He ran the hpv test which I knew would be negative as I and my husband have never had sexual contact with anyone but eachother. Well, surpise, it came back postive. Needless to say, there were some difficult moments with trust, but in the end, I just had to accept that I had this and not worry about the how. My doctor assured me that I was not the only person in my situation and that in his practice he has come across my situation enough to know that hpv is very widespread and there has to be other ways of transmitting this disease other than sexually. hpv is the #1 cause of cervical cancer. My biopsy came back pre-cancerous and I had to have a huge chunk of my cervix removed to prevent it going into cancer. I have to have 4 "clean" paps 6 months apart before I can go back to routine screening. You just never know what can happen and I feel so strongly that if I could have prevented this situation for myself by getting vaccinated as a child I would totally have done so. I have daugher who is only 18 months old and as soon as I can she will be vaccinated against hpv. There are so many uncertains and you just never know. This experience has been such a turmoil for me and my family and so stressful...I would never wish it upon anyone! Just some things to think about. My blog is private, but if you email me I will share: courtneymilius@hotmail.com!

Chris said...

I just had to do this with my daughter. I did the chicken pox because I don't want her getting it at this point. I did not want to do the hpv. I gave the first and never finished the series. But I am glad that I read courtney's comment. I have to take the next child in for the same series. I have 3 girls. Not what I want to be thinking about.