Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What did we use to call them?

The girls and I went for a walk after dinner tonight. It is about 45 degrees out and the sun was still out so I figure its time to start walking again. We did our usual path from last fall. Down the street, past the school, back towards our house and down a twisting street, past the house with the glass porch and a big pine tree. K, my collector, managed to pick up stuff along the way. Several sticks and pine cones. She says to me what did I use to call these? She always called pine cones, Poor kinds....after several minutes of trying to remember. We all laughed and then kept saying poor kinds, that's right!

Then the girls pointed out who lives in every house on our block. The house with Molly, the house with the new baby, the Afro-Americans' live there, and the guy who had a heart attack and died lived there, oh yeah and the new neighbors. I remember when I was a kid we actually had names for all of the people in our neighborhood. To this day, when I go home to visit,I call it the Coe's house, LaGuire's or Bruckman's house. I know they don't live there anymore and others have moved in but they will forever be called by the families that lived in them when I grew up. I wish I could do that in the neighborhood I live in now. I wish I new all of the neighbors on my block and across the street by name. It is a shame! But I am very thankful for the neighbors I do know by name especially Matt, Jill, and Diane The best next door neighbors!!

No comments: