Friday, February 27, 2009

Lent

Well lent is upon us again. When I was at mass on Ashe Wednesday with the kids father talked about sacrifice. The three things we should do during lent is give, pray and fast. Wow, nothing about giving up chocolate! I have decided that at night we would all pray together before we go to bed. We always say prayers, Our Father, Hail Mary, Now I lay me down to sleep, and for the sick but we were given a book with a prayer for the day at church on Sunday. We will be reading the passage and talking about it before we go to bed. We talked about fasting. My oldest gets it, I think but the other two, not so much. The kids are not big snackers so it really isn't that much of a deal. Myself on the other hand, when the kids go to bed I raid the re fridge so I am giving up snacking at night unless it is fruit or veggies! I will continue to work on the others minute by minute.

The kids have decided they will give up things. Katie is giving up Ketchup and BBQ sauce. She thinks they are a food group so for her to not have any the next 40 days is a true sacrifice. Christine is giving up pop. I said when do you drink pop? When we go out for lunch w/ Daddy. Well, I guess both of those are off limits for the next 40 days. My oldest, she is giving up reading books more than 500 pages. Seriously, is that a sacrifice. I guess for my little bookworm it seems like it is....Thank you Jesus for your sacrifice!

3 comments:

Jen said...

aw that is cute. I love that she is giving up books, too funny.

Jenn said...

What good little girls!!

Janiece said...

Thank you for sharing your Lent sacrifices.
I love learning about other's faith.
The first time I saw kids coming into the store (a long time ago) on Ash Wednesay I was asking what the deal was...I think they were as surprised to see I didn't know about Ash Wednesday and Lent as I was to hear about it.